Today we are launching version 2 of the FriendFeed API for beta testing. We focused on making the API simpler to use, and we added number of compelling new features:
- Real-time APIs - utilize long polling to get feeds in real-time, including search!
- Flexible sharing options - Direct message users. Share to multiple feeds.
- File attachments - Attach images, pdfs, spreadsheets, etc.
- OAuth support - Register your application now.
- Simplified response format - Your application doesn't need to know the difference between users and groups, how "friend of friend" works, or deal with hidden entries until you want to. We provide the HTML for representing entries so you don't have to construct it. Authenticated responses include a list of possible commands on every feed, entry, and comment so you don't have to do the detective work.
Documentation is available at http://friendfeed.com/api/documentation. A Python library that implements the new API methods and OAuth support is available at http://friendfeed-api.googlecode.com/files/friendfeed-api-v2-beta1.tar.gz.
You can play with a sample application that uses OAuth and the new API methods at http://friendfeed-api.appspot.com/. The complete source code for the sample application is available at http://code.google.com/p/friendfeed-api-example/.
Send us your feedback in the FriendFeed API v2 group. We are looking forward to using your new apps!